On the following Year Group pages you will be able to see what our children here at St Joseph's are learning. You will also give an overview of the current curriculum applicable to each Year Group.
Reading Books Sent Home
Oxford Tree/Treetops Books: These books are to extend your child's reading. Your child should be able to read most of this book however they might need a little support, especially with the first read.
Visit the Oxford Owl website (external link) which has has over 100 free ebooks for to enjoy with your child.
Your child may also be sent home with a guided reading book or school library book, it is important that these books are returned at the time requested so that other children can use them. In the event of a non-returned or damaged book there will be a £5 per book replacement fee levied to the parent via Parentpay.
What else can I do to help my child learn to read?
Reading a variety of books (fiction, non-fiction, rhymes etc.) Discuss the different features of the books. Talk about the books and other reading materials that you have shared. Explain the meaning of new words. See if your child could change a part of the story to make a new version. You could use puppets or soft toys to retell the story. Most importantly though, show that fun can be gained by listening to stories and reading a range of texts, eg. cereal packets, shopping lists, road signs, web pages, magazines, comics, newspapers etc.
Finally, don't worry if your child is struggling at first with their sounds and words, they will get there in their own time. If you have time (we know it is very precious!), we would urge you to try and read stories to your child before they go to bed. This will help develop a wider vocabulary which makes a vast difference to their quality of writing but it will also encourage them to enjoy a good story.
Useful Websites that support homework
- Read Write Inc - for more information and ideas for supporting your child visit the RWI website.
- Oxford Owl - visit the Oxford Owl website which has over 100 free ebooks for to enjoy with your child.
- YouTube: Phonemes Pronunciation Guide - a video clip, demonstrating how we produce our pure sounds to help during our Read Write Inc lessons.
- Family Learning: Phonics Games - Phonics games will help your child to practise sounding out words, which will help them to read.
- ICT Games: Word Reader - Listen to the word and choose which flower has that word underneath it.
- My Maths - login will be required
- Espresso - login will be required
- Times Table Rockstars - KS2 children have their own logins